Unable to play selected channel

HDHomeRun Beta Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to play selected channel

Postby bmarsolais » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm

The 20150604 release of the Prime firmware is often giving me the following message: "Unable to play selected channel".

In response to a support ticket, I was told that "'Unable to play selected channel' indicates the video decoder had failed to launch that channel. Engineering knows of the issue and is working on fixing it."

How is the fix progressing? Any idea when it will be released?

This release significantly reduced jitter on premium channels, but still needs major improvement to be acceptable.
bmarsolais

Re: Unable to play selected channel

Postby nickk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi,

What application is giving you this error message?

Nick
nickk
Silicondust

Postby bmarsolais » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 am

HDHomeRun View running on a Fire TV Box. Also, at the same time I am trying to watch a channel on the Fire TV and get the error message, I am able to view that same channel successfully using WMC.
bmarsolais

Postby signcarver » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 am

I would also like you to verify whether or not it is a drm channel

Did you somehow enable hardware decoding? That error would come up on a drm channel if hardware decoding is enabled (I didn't think the firetv supported that yet so would be surprised to see that you did)

Also how is the network set up as drm channels do have latency restrictions.
signcarver
Expert

Postby bmarsolais » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Several channels have exhibited this behavior including Fox News, CNN, HGTV, and TWC. These are all premium subscription channels on the Cox system. Immediately prior to installing the 20150604 update package, this error message did not appear and all channels were viewable, albeit with considerably more jitter. This is not a hard failure - I'd guess this happens about 1 out of three attempts to view. There have been no other changes to my system.

The Fire TV Box, the PC running WMC, and the HDHR Prime are all connected to the same 10M/100M/1G switch using either CAT5e or CAT 6 cable.
bmarsolais

Postby nickk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Please download and install the latest beta release and let me know if anything changes:
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... =19&t=2484

Nick
nickk
Silicondust

Postby bmarsolais » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:04 am

I have now put my Fire TV Box in and out of the sleep mode at least 20 times and have not encountered the original problem, that is, I have not received the "Unable to play selected channel" message. One time a channel came up with no audio, but the next time I cycled in and out of sleep mode the audio returned. This is compared to the pre-20150610beta1 release where once the problem occurred, it persisted for at least several minutes.

Summary - As of this writing, it appears the problem is fixed. I'll report back in a couple of days and let you know if anything changes.

Thank you Nick and company, for the quick response.
bmarsolais

Postby bmarsolais » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon.

The original problem is still present. Tonight I am not able to view any premium channels like Fox News, CNN, HGTV, or The Weather Channel. I get the "Unable to play selected channel" message displayed on the Fire TV screen. Also, while the Prime box is trying to lock in on the channel, the tuner green LED is flashing. When the message appears, the LED goes off and stays off. At the same instant, another tuner controlled by WMC is locked in and viewing on my PC the same channel that I can't view on the Fire TV Box. I am able to view the open channels like local stations and PBS on the Fire TV.

I was not able to find a link for a release earlier than 20150604. Since neither the 20150604 or 20150610beta1 releases are reliable, would you please give me a link to the release prior to 20150604 so I can use my HDHR-Prime?

Thanks,
Bob
bmarsolais

Postby signcarver » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 am

A link wouldn't help... One cannot revert firmware on a prime, only move forward

Since you mentioned the tuner light flashing, I would make sure you have enabled reporting and respond back with device id and time the error occurs (if it was already turned on in the past week, you can probably just mention the time of the last occurrence) and hopefully nickk can look it up or you may use their trouble ticket system. With exception of you mentioning that led, it seems to me that it is a DRM issue of view on the fire TV or perhaps the cablecard beginning to go out since both times you mentioned the problem as having another device also tuned to the channel... do your logs say anything? Also since you mentioned cox, do you happen to be in kansas as they have been having some strange cablecard problems reported there recently.

You may also wish to try another power adapter as typically the first symptom is a bad signal when 2 or more tuners are in use and/or on one particular tuner.
signcarver
Expert

Postby bmarsolais » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 am

@Signcarver - You mentioned the power supply and cable card. It can't be those items since WMC functions successfully at the same time the Fire TV Box fails using the same power supply and cable card. The difference between the working and failing environment is the Fire TV-Prime combination - something unique to that combination whether it be the hardware or firmware interface in either the Prime or Fire TV. The cable card and power supply is common to both environments. The Fire TV box works with no problems when running other apps.

The time of last occurrence was last night (6/11/15) around 21:00. My case number is 36551.
bmarsolais

Postby bmarsolais » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 am

The problem still persists. Last night (6/12) about 10:00 p.m. PDT the "Unable to play selected channel" message appeared. After a few minutes, the problem went away.

Any progress figuring this one out?
bmarsolais

Postby bmarsolais » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:15 am

Here is some additional information.

At 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. this morning, I tried to view several premium subscription channels. On every channel I got the "Unable to play..." message. I then put the Fire TV box in and out of the sleep mode and got the same results. I then put the Fire TV box into the sleep mode and unplugged power to the box. After that I was able to view any channel I wanted.

Bob M
bmarsolais

Postby bmarsolais » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:52 am

Same thing again yesterday. Resetting the Fire TV Box through the Developer Options had the same effect as pulling the plug - it temporarily fixed the problem.

Since resetting the box seems to get it working again for a while, I don't need a link to an older firmware version. The 20150614beta1 has better jitter performance that the older versions.
bmarsolais

Return to HDHomeRun Beta Forum