HDHomerun stopped showing or detecting channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mrtaschen

HDHomerun stopped showing or detecting channels

Post by mrtaschen »

So I've just sent a support ticket to Silicondust but I wanted to ask here in the forum:

I've owned my Connect Duo for a few years and it's always come through thick and thin. A while ago I had to store it and after dusting it off, it updated to the latest firmware (20231214). It integrated into my Plex server again without a problem and I'd been using it fine.

Today, my router reset and I suddenly got a 'unable to play channel no video data' on all channels. When I went into the config data, the list of channels was still there. But I retuned the channels because I couldn't see or hear anything (the EPG was still there), and suddenly it can't detect any channels at all.

I plugged the antenna into my father's TV, and it tuned in the OTA channels, clear as day. It's powered but both Plex and HDHomerun had no trouble with it before (the initial setup required fiddling with the rabbit ears to get a perfect signal). I've used both the browser tune-in wizard and the Windows 10 Install Wizard to no avail. Signal info shows Frequency 697.500 MHz for tuner 1 and the same at times for Tuner 0 but nothing else by way of signal.

What, if anything, can I do now while I wait for Support to come back to me? Thanks in advance.

mrtaschen

Re: HDHomerun stopped showing or detecting channels

Post by mrtaschen »

UPDATE:

Ahahaha, I never bought into the Turn-it Off, Turn-It On again scheme but after I initially unplugged it, I left it for five minutes. After giving up for the night, Support got back to me to ask for diagnostic data, I plugged it back in (unplugged for thirty plus minutes) and lo and behold, it's working again and added three channels I didn't get before.

I'll take the hail Mary pass from the TV aerial gods and bid you all goodnight.

imagexpo

Re: HDHomerun stopped showing or detecting channels

Post by imagexpo »

It's often necessary to leave electronic devices off for extended periods to allow the capacitors (which hold a charge like batteries) to fully discharge to zero and power the circuit down completely.
This is why you see instructions to 'power off for at least 30 seconds' or more (depends on the size of the capacitors).
So it's a real thing!