Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun x2

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun x2

Post by nickk »

JonP wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:41 pm would would think they would just roll it back one update as other companies do when the have major issues.
Roku doesn't provide an option to roll back, so rolling back means submitting a new release that contains older code. The time it takes Roku to approve a release is the dominant factor so it doesn't help much.

Olaf

Post by Olaf »

nickk: First and foremost, thank you for your help with this issue and the many others I see on this community board. I appreciate it. I get that many others do as well. That said, SiliconDust as a company needs to realize it's products are not cheap, there is competition, and that customers expect suppliers to follow generally accepted software development practices from strategy to requirements definition, coding, testing and placing the code in production. Also in establishing a "Help Desk" and bug-triage process.

From what I see there is little evidence of testing any HDHR code before it goes into production, certainly not involving a Roku test bed or working with a key partner which should be Roku. This latest Roku HDHR app problem is just one of many. SiliconDust needs to realize if the HDHR Roku app is down, HDHR is down as well, being locked into just one channel. Having the "developers jump on this on Monday when they return" is also evidence that SD does not care about it's users. The developers should have: (1) tested their Roku HDHR app before putting it into production, and (2) upon discovery of a P1 bug, dropped everything to fix it.

I spent about 2.5 hours fiddling with this issue as a new user only to find out it's a bug in the HDHR Roku app. Then upon discovering this board, only to find out it's one of many and that the root cause of these problems, not testing code before production to include a Roku test bed, is just insult to injury. Also, the concept of "roll-back and recovery" is replete through all I/T. If SD cannot implement a robust Roku test bed before releasing it's app to Roku, at the very least Roku should be able to code "input/processing/output" edit checks so that when the HDHR Roku app hits a bug an error notice is given to the user, and an auto notice sent to SD that there's a P1 bug in it's software that just brought the whole Roku user base down.

I'm not sure what to say to you nickk other than to again thank you, sincerely for your help, else we'd be at the mercy of bad I/T development processes that are clearly the result of a garage operation with little review, checks and balances and an ownership that just doesn't care. That is intuitively obvious to the casual observer. Thank you again for your help. It's all we have.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Olaf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:27 pm From what I see there is little evidence of testing any HDHR code before it goes into production, certainly not involving a Roku test bed or working with a key partner which should be Roku.
The app was tested by multiple people across multiple Roku models before release as per our release procedure.

I personally tested changing channel with slice, changing channel without slice, and all new features before the release was approved.

When we started getting reports of a problem I clean installed from Roku and re-tested changing changing channel with and without slice - it worked 100%.

I have a 4800X so next I asked other staff members to re-test on an older Roku 3 in case it was model specific. It worked 100%.

I then worked with our support team to try to figure out what the failure cases might have in common... this lead to figuring out the problem situation and a reproducible test case.

Olaf

Post by Olaf »

nickk: I understand what you said. The testing that you described represents "Unit Testing", meaning you program a new/changed/deleted function and test it on one Roku device. What is missing is "System Testing", meaning testing in several different Roku devices and installs, with different Roku setting test protocols. Lastly, before placing the new code into production, your dev team should perform "Integration Testing" in various Roku use cases designed to stress both the Roku device in the HDHR code. I would also highly suggest you establish those "edit checks" to detect code execution and output problems and if nothing else alert either Roku or HDHR or both (depending on contracts/performance agreements) that there is a problem. All meaning if you don't do these things and the HDHR Roku goes down, your Roku user base goes down with it. This is what class action lawsuits are made of and some due-dilly on the part of your owners would be appreciated. Else this box gets returned within AMZs return guidelines.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Olaf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 pm The testing that you described represents "Unit Testing", meaning you program a new/changed/deleted function and test it on one Roku device. What is missing is "System Testing", meaning testing in several different Roku devices and installs, with different Roku setting test protocols.
I think you missed what I said in my post above.

The app was tested by multiple people across multiple Roku models before release as per our release procedure.

I personally tested changing channel with slice, changing channel without slice, and all new features before the release was approved.

When we started getting reports of a problem I clean installed from Roku and re-tested changing changing channel with and without slice - it worked 100%.

I have a 4800X so next I asked other staff members to re-test on an older Roku 3 in case it was model specific. It worked 100%.

joblak6611

Post by joblak6611 »

SiliconDust needs to play by Roku rules when it comes to installing fixes and updates. I feel they are doing a great job in getting this issue corrected. While Roku is a great way to take advantage of the SiliconDust platform, there are other interfaces that work very well in the interim. I work in the software industry and understand the process, which is not as simple as some may think.

DJH

Temp Fix: Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun x2

Post by DJH »

TEMPORARY FIX: for any Roku users that want to change the channel while waiting for the app update, this is how you do it. Open the ROKU MEDIA PLAYER app (it is preinstalled and probably at the bottom of your Roku app list). This Media Player app will automatically connect to the HDHomeRun. You can then use the Media Player app to view HDHomeRun content and also change channels on the HDHomeRun. The user interface for Media Player is archaic and terrible, but it does work. Temp fix until the app is restored.

I have 3 Roku Ultra devices (4800, 4802 and 4662). The HDHomeRun app does not allow me to change the channel on any of my Roku devices.

Good luck.

Olaf

Post by Olaf »

nickk: Exactly what was the code/problem with the Roku HDHomerun App release v. 89.0 dated 20240402? Please be specific. Also, have you modified your app modification test procedures to catch and correct this type of error in the future? Again, please be specific.

Also as a failsafe against further HDHomerun Roku App errors in release/production, I would highly recommend SD entering into a new "Service Level Agreement" with Roku that would fast-track any HDHomerun app crash problems such as the one we are experiencing. Meaning, the problem with v. 89.0 was discovered by the user base immediately. Apparently it took 8 days to produce a fix (4/10/24) where it is now 4 days later and the fix still has not been released by Roku. All meaning SD and Roku are getting a very large black eye from this, and looking back in prior Community Board posts it is not the first time HDHomerun programs have had bugs involving Roku. The user base is getting very tired of this and you might wish to have a senior SD Manager address the Board here on what he/she will do to support you and the other developers and help protect the HDHomerun user base from further problems such as this.

Thank you.

joblak6611

Re: Temp Fix: Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun x2

Post by joblak6611 »

DJH wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:59 am TEMPORARY FIX: for any Roku users that want to change the channel while waiting for the app update, this is how you do it. Open the ROKU MEDIA PLAYER app (it is preinstalled and probably at the bottom of your Roku app list). This Media Player app will automatically connect to the HDHomeRun. You can then use the Media Player app to view HDHomeRun content and also change channels on the HDHomeRun. The user interface for Media Player is archaic and terrible, but it does work. Temp fix until the app is restored.

I have 3 Roku Ultra devices (4800, 4802 and 4662). The HDHomeRun app does not allow me to change the channel on any of my Roku devices.

Good luck.
Great workaround! Thanks for sharing!

joblak6611

Post by joblak6611 »

Olaf wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:47 am nickk: Exactly what was the code/problem with the Roku HDHomerun App release v. 89.0 dated 20240402? Please be specific. Also, have you modified your app modification test procedures to catch and correct this type of error in the future? Again, please be specific.

Also as a failsafe against further HDHomerun Roku App errors in release/production, I would highly recommend SD entering into a new "Service Level Agreement" with Roku that would fast-track any HDHomerun app crash problems such as the one we are experiencing. Meaning, the problem with v. 89.0 was discovered by the user base immediately. Apparently it took 8 days to produce a fix (4/10/24) where it is now 4 days later and the fix still has not been released by Roku. All meaning SD and Roku are getting a very large black eye from this, and looking back in prior Community Board posts it is not the first time HDHomerun programs have had bugs involving Roku. The user base is getting very tired of this and you might wish to have a senior SD Manager address the Board here on what he/she will do to support you and the other developers and help protect the HDHomerun user base from further problems such as this.

Thank you.
Have some patience. He explained the process and said the fix would be in Roku's release on 4/15. You paid one time for a device and nothing for the app, yet you want the same level of service you get from a streaming service that costs $100 a month. Find an alternative. Use the Temporary Fix suggestion below.

djmorgan911

Post by djmorgan911 »

I updated the app on Roku and now it keeps saying:

Roku player error: Malformed data

It does this on startup and the progress bar hangs at various places. If I get to a channel, the show freezes almost immediately and that message pops up again. If I go to change a channel, the progress bar shows up, hangs and the Malformed data shows up. It never did this prior to the bad app and today's update.

I have uninstalled the app, rebooted and reinstalled the app and rebooted.
I do not have the freezing issue on my Android TV or my Fire Sticks. I know the Malformed data message is Roku-specific. Just ruling out poor signal etc.

Roku TV itself is up to date.

TV is a TCL Model 65S41

DJH

Post by DJH »

djmorgan911 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:51 am I updated the app on Roku and now it keeps saying:

Roku player error: Malformed data

It does this on startup and the progress bar hangs at various places. If I get to a channel, the show freezes almost immediately and that message pops up again. If I go to change a channel, the progress bar shows up, hangs and the Malformed data shows up. It never did this prior to the bad app and today's update.

I have uninstalled the app, rebooted and reinstalled the app and rebooted.
I do not have the freezing issue on my Android TV or my Fire Sticks. I know the Malformed data message is Roku-specific. Just ruling out poor signal etc.

Roku TV itself is up to date.

TV is a TCL Model 65S41
This is not an issue with the app or HDHomerun device, it is an issue with your antenna alignment and Roku. You need to adjust the antenna to get your signal and symbol quality up to 100% (or close to it). Often times, you can have the antenna aimed perfectly, but you need to adjust the angle of the antenna to improve the signal and symbol quality. The reason this is important is Roku specific. If Roku detects any wobble in your reception, you get the malformed data error and no picture; I learned this the hard way. Here are 2 easy solutions. Solution #1. Use the Signal GH app, available on the App Store to help you physical adjust and fine tune your antenna direction/angle for perfect, 100% signal and symbol quality. You can adjust the antenna a little and quickly use the app to see whether the adjustment helped or hurt your signal and symbol quality. After a couple of adjustments, it will be obvious which direction and angle help and you can then fine tune to get to perfect; took me about five minutes. This completely cured my Roku malformed data issue. #2. Switch to AppleTV and use it instead. AppleTV (and perhaps other streaming devices) will tolerate the malformed data and NOT give you an error. Also, if you use AppleTV, you can pay $25 for the dedicated Channels App (only for HDHomeRun). It’s pricey, but very high quality interface; only for AppeTV though. This will ensure you are no longer reliant on the HDHomeRun app and issues we experienced this weekend.

djmorgan911

Post by djmorgan911 »

DJH wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:33 am
This is not an issue with the app or HDHomerun device, it is an issue with your antenna alignment and Roku. You need to adjust the antenna to get your signal and symbol quality up to 100% (or close to it). Often times, you can have the antenna aimed perfectly, but you need to adjust the angle of the antenna to improve the signal and symbol quality. The reason this is important is Roku specific. If Roku detects any wobble in your reception, you get the malformed data error and no picture; I learned this the hard way. Here are 2 easy solutions. Solution #1. Use the Signal GH app, available on the App Store to help you physical adjust and fine tune your antenna direction/angle for perfect, 100% signal and symbol quality. You can adjust the antenna a little and quickly use the app to see whether the adjustment helped or hurt your signal and symbol quality. After a couple of adjustments, it will be obvious which direction and angle help and you can then fine tune to get to perfect; took me about five minutes. This completely cured my Roku malformed data issue. #2. Switch to AppleTV and use it instead. AppleTV (and perhaps other streaming devices) will tolerate the malformed data and NOT give you an error. Also, if you use AppleTV, you can pay $25 for the dedicated Channels App (only for HDHomeRun). It’s pricey, but very high quality interface; only for AppeTV though. This will ensure you are no longer reliant on the HDHomeRun app and issues we experienced this weekend.
I am not in the Apple ecosystem so neither apply to me.
What I have an issue with is that prior to this app version, the malformed data error did not happen on this TV, even with the only channel I could view for over a week.