Holy Cow on the Sept firmware release.

HDHomeRun Beta Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Holy Cow on the Sept firmware release.

Postby Stngray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 am

I have had to hdhrs on Cox in Surprise, Az running reliably for two years, had them going on Cox in Goodyear, AZ for a year or two before that very unreliabley. Two or three weeks ago everything went to hell. I lost over 50 percent of my channels, and nothing I tried fixed it. Cox had been out on the street messing around in their boxes and had obviously changed something. I had had it this last weekend and was going to turn my Ccs and TAs in this Friday. But something with this firmware update fixed it all, and gave me channel 10, a local I have never been able to get from this location. Does anything in this latest update explain why I had such an improvement? Maybe something to do with the TAs?
Stngray

Re: Holy Cow on the Sept firmware release.

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:27 am

What firmware were you running previously?
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Stngray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm

The previous beta.
Stngray

Postby jasonl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 am

No changes to the tuning adapter code since the 0623 beta.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Stngray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Really wondering what changed. The only thing I did was update the firmware and everything started working again. I had rebooted tuners and adapters several times over the previous weeks with no effect.
Stngray

Postby signcarver » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:45 am

By the way, your problems came right when cox pushed out upgrades to the cablecard firmware in the phoenix area... you may wish to check that you got it... ever since, my TAs on devices that are on the 1301 firmware have been terrible often taking an hour or more to come back up and have been much slower at getting channels... I still have a ceton device on the 601 firmware that errors out on the firmware update and TA's on that are quicker then ever (usually)... I am still not convinced my findings are a post hoc fallacy even though I did swap TAs and the problems (or lack of) stuck with the tuner/card but at this point am unwilling to swap cards between devices to see if it stays with the card... others have been reporting problems with tivos and TAs since then as well but don't believe it is the 1301 firmware as that is supposed to fix things for them (not really needed unless it is a 6 tuner device) but SDV in phoenix has been bad the past month. It may just be that with all the 6 tuner devices (contour/more tivos/ more 3-6 tuner cablecard tuners in general) that SDV is at it's limits and they just happened to fix it in your area right when you upgraded.

I will say in your case it is also possible you just got the cablecard firmware upgrade (possibly needing the reboot of the prime firmware upgrade) and it improved your performance but many have been seeing worse performance since.
signcarver

Postby Stngray » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info, that explains a lot.
Stngray

Return to HDHomeRun Beta Forum