No signal popups WMC with 20141107beta1

HDHomeRun Beta Forum

Moderator: Moderators

No signal popups WMC with 20141107beta1

Postby Luigi408 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Hello all,

I am getting a lot of no signal popups on my WMC when recording starts. This happens with the new beta 20141107beta1. I never had this problem before. My cable company is Comcast and I have Send diagnostic information ON. Most of the time it still records it seems but the pop ups keep coming up. My device ID is 13145D41. Thanks!
Luigi408

Re: No signal popups WMC with 20141107beta1

Postby Mediaman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 am

This is more a response of WMC not being able to complete a task within a time frame than anything else and it drops trying to tune the first tuner requested [error report] and grabs the next one and starts to record [part of the program to try again]. Somebody else can give you a more accurate description on the time out error. Ignore it as long as things record it's just a error report with no consequence. It happens more typically when the computer comes out of sleep to start the recording than if someone is watching and a recording starts [not to say that too does not happen every once in a while]. When it does happen while I am watching I typically check to see that the recording has started in the recorded section. Then I go back to whatever I was watching when I see it is. It's something MS never really fixed before they stopped development of WMC.

If your actually having a failure to record then that is another matter and you need to specifically point to the time it happens so that SD can easily find the event and analyze the issue otherwise it could take them months to find the issue in all the streaming data of everything you watch trying to find the needle [error] in the hay stack. Then look for what caused it to appear...
Mediaman

Postby jasonl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:52 pm

As Mediaman said, please provide a specific date/time/channel number when this happened so we can check the logs at that point.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Luigi408 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 pm

It just happened at 8:00PM PST trying to record channel 712 'The Flash'.

Its weird because this DID NOT happen before the latest beta. Never had this problem at all.
Luigi408

Postby signcarver » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 pm

I personally would say it more than likely isn't related to the beta and just general WMC behavior as I have seen this behavior in WMC since before cablecard tuners came out (though network tuners in general are more susceptible)... often but not always I can find reference to a disk error in event viewer around the same time. Given enough time everything (motherboard, drive, network, the layers it needs to move through in the computer/OS, etc. ) seems to get a beat or two behind and finally WMC decides it took too long. I also feel it happens more quickly as you get more tuners. It may also be that the latest beta takes 1ms longer to respond to tuning requests and became just enough to put it over the edge (I think there are many hundreds of things in the PC that are more likely to cause this nearly unmeasurable delay that was just enough to cause the error to show up than to "blame" it on the beta, but I won't entirely rule it out... even samsung is beginning to admit their SSDs get "unreasonably" slower the longer something is on the drive)

How long has the computer been awake before recording? Are the drives put to sleep? Have you had any other updates to windows? I would also make sure to have the tuner on a static lease and probably do the same for the PC (or actually give the pc a static ip)

Lately I have also been seeing many more reports of errors related to a "schedule change"... though I haven't watched it, each time "selfie" comes on I get this on my own system and the pilot was broken into over 30 files. I have a dozen tuners that can get locals and there are no more than 6 in use at that time and just about every tuner I own was "at fault" that night.
signcarver

Postby jasonl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm

At 8pm, the logs show tuning did fail because all 3 tuners were in use. Tuner 0 was in use on the device at 192.168.1.2 since Monday night at 11:45pm, and was not released until Tuesday night at 8:06. Tuner 1 was in use on 192.168.1.2 on channel 718 from 6:57-8:02pm on Tuesday. Tuner 2 has been in use on channel 703 by 192.168.1.14 since 1:15am Saturday morning, and is still in use as of now. You'll probably want to release that tuner (open HDHomeRun Config GUI, click on tuner 2, and click View, then Override when it tells you it is in use), and then figure out why 192.168.1.14 never released it.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Luigi408 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:24 am

Thank you, its weird because I don't have any device using that local IP address in my network. I'll try to reboot my network and my Prime and see if it help. Thank you for checking this out for me.
Luigi408

Postby jasonl » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Anything that might have switched between wired and wireless and had that as an old IP?
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Luigi408 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:08 pm

No sure. My static IPs don't go up to 192.168.1.14. I've only assigned static IPs addresses up to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.7. So it was probably a WIFI device. My guess it was one of the Xbox's in the other room. I'll assign them a Static IP to make sure I know which device is the culprit if it happens again.

I follow your direction and released the tuner in use and I haven't had that pop up anymore. I also rebooted my whole network and computers and haven't had this pop up for the past two days. Thanks again for the help!
Luigi408

Postby jasonl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 pm

The Xbox itself wouldn't be able to lock up a tuner in that mode. It would have to be a PC or one of the third-party Android/iOS apps.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby Markus57 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 am

You mentioned you are using Comcast. Any chance you have a Technicolor TC8305C gateway? If so it may be a UPnP error. Comcast recently pushed new firmware to the modem and it killed parts of IGMP through the gateway LAN ports. If you check via HDHomeRun setup, you will get a UPnP error if this is the cause. Oddly, if you check Windows explorer you will not see the tuners under Network but once you run setup, after a few seconds, the tuners show up on the Network in Windows explorer.

I have 2 WMC laptops connected to the Prime. One is isolated thru an unmanaged switch, the other was connected thru gateway LAN port for convenience due to location of the laptop in relation to the Prime. The one on the LAN port began having No Tuner issues the moment the new gateway firmware was pushed. HDHomerun setup threw the UPnP error with link to page explaining why. Tried messing with gateway settings, network adapter settings, but nothing worked. The laptop isolated via the switch worked fine. So I got another switch and put it in line before the LAN port to keep the Prime isolated thru the switches and both WMC laptops work fine again. Note this was occurring with both the October and November 7 betas.
Markus57

Postby paulthepilot » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:59 am

Man, I have been pulling what's left of my hair out on this issue. Thanks soooo much for posting. I had the same exact anomaly and noticed the one Win7 PC I had behind an unmanaged switch had absolutely no detection errors.

Have you had any success in resolving the problem? It sounds like I need to get another 1G unmanaged switch to park next to the Technicolor router and stop using the Comcast ports?
paulthepilot

Postby Mediaman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:25 pm

A switch may help resolve the issue. Recently tried a gateway router/modem from them and gave it back. Poor software, limited consumer controls, and their using my power to provide services to others without compensation. Too many other things that Comcast doesn't seem to refute or admit about them IMO; http://forums.comcast.com/ . When I first heard about their plan to piggy back Wi-Fi off of their customers backs I wanted to know how much they would pay me for an access point. :lol: If you think the gateway is an issue you have to contact them and have them turn it off.
Mediaman

Return to HDHomeRun Beta Forum