Set max storage limit on NAS (Synology)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ERamseth

Set max storage limit on NAS (Synology)

Post by ERamseth »

I recently put together a NAS with about 10 TB storage. It's a Synology NAS.

I want HDHR DVR to use AT MOST 4TB or so of storage (out of the 10).

How do I accomplish that? Is it even possible to limit it in this way?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Set max storage limit on NAS (Synology)

Post by NedS »

Not possible via the DVR software.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

One approach would be to configure the NAS with two volumes, one for DVR recordings and one for general storage. Set the size of the DVR volume to 4TB.

SpiceWare

Post by SpiceWare »

Would setting a quota on the HDHomeRun shared folder work?

Create a Shared Folder
Enable shared folder quota: To specify the maximum capacity for each shared folder, tick Enable shared folder quota checkbox, and enter the maximum capacity (e.g., 10 GB) in the following field.
My Mac shows my Synology has 16.48 TB free.

I have a shared folder called Time Machine Mac Pro that's used for backing up my Mac. This folder is configured with a Quota of 4TB. If I check Time Machine Settings on my Studio it shows just 1.66 TB available for backups, not the full 16.48 TB.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Possibly but often can cause issues. Many solutions involving quotas require specific volumes and users and whether or not such works well may also depend on how it was installed and the path used in the config. But it probably is worth trying out.

ERamseth

Post by ERamseth »

nickk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:42 am One approach would be to configure the NAS with two volumes, one for DVR recordings and one for general storage. Set the size of the DVR volume to 4TB.
This is what I ended up doing. Thankfully it was a new NAS with nothing on it, because you can't shrink volumes. Had to completely delete and re-create.
SpiceWare wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:45 am Would setting a quota on the HDHomeRun shared folder work?

Create a Shared Folder
Enable shared folder quota: To specify the maximum capacity for each shared folder, tick Enable shared folder quota checkbox, and enter the maximum capacity (e.g., 10 GB) in the following field.
My Mac shows my Synology has 16.48 TB free.

I have a shared folder called Time Machine Mac Pro that's used for backing up my Mac. This folder is configured with a Quota of 4TB. If I check Time Machine Settings on my Studio it shows just 1.66 TB available for backups, not the full 16.48 TB.
I tried this and HDHomerun App reported the full volume size available. As @signcarver mentioned, I assume this would cause unexpected errors when the quota was hit.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The HDHomeRun DVR record engine reads/writes directly to disk (it doesn't use the share). We require creating a share so that 1) the HDHomeRun DVR record engine knows where to put recordings, and 2) so you can browse the files manually with a PC if you want to.