CyberLink SoftDMA

Moderator: Moderators

CyberLink SoftDMA

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:38 am

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/softd ... en_US.html

Claims to support DTCP-IP, but, at least in trial mode, it says "This version of Cyberlink SoftDMA does not support this feature. Get it with latest CyberLink SoftDMA and lots more." when attempting to play items under the Premium Cable TV folder. The items under the Cable TV folder play fine.

The version reported on the Extras-About screen is 2.0.4213 [Trial].

Tried on Windows 7 64-bit.
Blahman

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 am

Anyone purchased this able to confirm whether DTCP-IP works in the full version?
Blahman

Postby Diverge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 am

I thought about buying it, but I just downloaded the trial, and it's not working on windows 8 for me. I'm guessing it's a firewall issue since windows never prompted me after installing and running that software.

I'm too lazy to put much more effort into that software. It's seems pretty old.
Diverge

Postby tatch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 am

Diverge wrote:I thought about buying it, but I just downloaded the trial, and it's not working on windows 8 for me. I'm guessing it's a firewall issue since windows never prompted me after installing and running that software.

Thats because the trial doesnt support DTCP-IP. (Also the trial might not support windows 8 )

Limitations

30-day working trial.
Does not support the playback of DTCP-IP protected content.
Trial version supported under Windows 7 only.
tatch

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:51 am

tatch wrote:
Diverge wrote:I thought about buying it, but I just downloaded the trial, and it's not working on windows 8 for me. I'm guessing it's a firewall issue since windows never prompted me after installing and running that software.

Thats because the trial doesnt support DTCP-IP. (Also the trial might not support windows 8 )

Limitations

30-day working trial.

Oops, I should have seen that :oops:

Still, $50 seems a bit steep. It's nice looking enough but VERY basic. On the fence about it I guess.
Blahman

Postby Diverge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 am

tatch wrote:

Limitations

30-day working trial.

I was just trying to tune non-copy protected channels. Like I said, it was probably firewall related. I've been able to play TV on my PS3, XBMC on my htpc, Samsung TV, and just audio on my raspberry pi XBMC (waiting for my codec keys to test further).
Diverge

Postby Jdoo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 am

I downloaded the trial on my win7 machine.

It detected the hdhr immediately and tunes my non-premium cable channels fine.

The interface is *very* sparse and it doesnt appear to support remotes or keyboard shortcuts. the only way I would pay anything for this is if you could somehow link its DTCPIP capability with xbmc to watch premium channels.

Otherwise, just save your $50 and use WMC instead.
Jdoo

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:19 am

Jdoo wrote:I downloaded the trial on my win7 machine.

It detected the hdhr immediately and tunes my non-premium cable channels fine.

The interface is *very* sparse and it doesnt appear to support remotes or keyboard shortcuts. the only way I would pay anything for this is if you could somehow link its DTCPIP capability with xbmc to watch premium channels.

Otherwise, just save your $50 and use WMC instead.

The interface is able to be keyboard driven, same keys as WMC uses for basic navigation.

Perhaps it could be automated? E.g. use XBMC's guide and have some code that runs this app and tunes the selected channel.

Also I have many reasons for not using WMC, the main one being that HDCP is not validated over DisplayPort, so I can't watch copy-protected content on my notebook's internal display.
Blahman

Postby Jdoo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 am

I doubt this will work without hdcp either. Good luck finding a solution

:edit:
Perhaps it could be automated? E.g. use XBMC's guide and have some code that runs this app and tunes the selected channel.
this would be ideal. Anyone know if its possible to tell the app to tune a device and channel via commandline?
Jdoo

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am

You may be right. I downloaded the DTCP-IP Advisor from the Cyberlink Japan site and my notebook failed the SCMS test -- I assume SCMS == HDCP.

edit: Actually according to this SCMS seems related to digital audio out, not HDCP, so perhaps there is still hope. It seems to indicate that if you're using analog audio (including through the headphone jack and built-in speakers) that this is not a problem.

edit2: The advisor indicates my "Video Connection Type" is "Internal Connection" and that it passes, more hope that it may work!
Last edited by Blahman on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Blahman

Postby tatch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:56 am

Jdoo wrote:I doubt this will work without hdcp either. Good luck finding a solution

this would be ideal. Anyone know if its possible to tell the app to tune a device and channel via commandline?

From their website:
Digital Media Controller (DMC) - Sit back and relax as your smart device acts as a DMC making a request to play content via a media server. Media can then be transferred to SoftDMA installed on your PC using your smart device to control playback.

Looks like its possible to write something to control it outside the application.
tatch

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 am

tatch wrote:
Jdoo wrote:I doubt this will work without hdcp either. Good luck finding a solution

From their website:
Digital Media Controller (DMC) - Sit back and relax as your smart device acts as a DMC making a request to play content via a media server. Media can then be transferred to SoftDMA installed on your PC using your smart device to control playback.

Looks like its possible to write something to control it outside the application.

I forgot about that, but yes, I was able to remotely control it using my iPod Touch and Twonky Beam, which uses DLNA to stream to devices.
Blahman

Postby Jdoo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Check out powerdvd 12 ultra
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_US.html

It says it supports dtcpip and I know people have used pdvd as an external player for blurays in xbmc so maybe this is a better solution. I'm going to check out the trial a bit and see
Jdoo

Postby tatch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Jdoo wrote:Check out powerdvd 12 ultra

It says it supports dtcpip and I know people have used pdvd as an external player for blurays in xbmc so maybe this is a better solution. I'm going to check out the trial a bit and see

Trial doesnt support dtcp-ip. The product actually looks really nice.
tatch

Postby Blahman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 pm

tatch wrote:
Jdoo wrote:Check out powerdvd 12 ultra

Trial doesnt support dtcp-ip. The product actually looks really nice.

It also costs more money ($75) but that's a much better value if you can make use of the extra features. It looks like it also has DMR support, meaning you could in theory use XBMC as a DMC to stream from the HDHR to PowerDVD.
Blahman

Next

Return to Windows