Silicon Dust App

Moderator: Moderators

Silicon Dust App

Postby usmat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 am

Any news on the Silicon Dust Android app with the dtcp support as stated on the homepage. Date of Release? Beta?

Simmonds
usmat

Re: Silicon Dust App

Postby pengee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 pm

usmat wrote:Any news on the Silicon Dust Android app with the dtcp support as stated on the homepage. Date of Release? Beta?

Simmonds

Would be nice to hear something on this as well. No, I don't expect a date but I'd love to hear that silicondust is actually working on an android app (hopefully with googletv support) and more importantly if they are able to add DTCP-IP support? I was under the assumption that it had to be supported at the hardware level.
pengee

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:14 pm

We do have an Android app in development and it is working, including DTCP, in-house. No ETA on release right now.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby pengee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:36 pm

jasonl wrote:We do have an Android app in development and it is working, including DTCP, in-house. No ETA on release right now.

That is fantastic! Thank you, jasonl.

Are you able to share if it will be compatible with googletv (android 3.2), if it will have a channel / program guide and if no in-app guide is planned will it be able to handle channel change intent from other applications (buddy tv or google prime)?
pengee

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Requires Android 4. Current plans are to show the current airing program for each channel, but not a full grid. Not sure on channel changes, the app is mainly intended for phone/tablet use where you're holding the screen anyway.
jasonl
Silicondust

Postby cfs123c » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am

If there is any chance in getting into a beta group for testing the app I'd be happy to volunteer. I have 6 different Android 4.x devices to test with:
- ODROID-X2 - dev board on wired ethernet (running XBMC)
- ODRIOD-XU -dev board on wired ethernet (running XBMC)
- Samsung Galaxy SIII
- 3 Android tablets
- Archos 7 inch (generic dual core)
- Acer A500 (on ICS)
- Some generic 7 Inch tab of the internet
cfs123c

Postby kg1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Jason,
Any plans on supporting Chromecast? And will the app have the ability to trigger a recording of a program?

Thanks
KG
kg1

Postby hilltopper06 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I am also very interested in this. It would be great if it could have more of a full fledged epg. I also think being able to schedule recordings (to a NAS or some other network connected box) would be great. A subscription-less EPG using EIT info from ATSC channels would be the cherry on top.
hilltopper06

Postby Diverge » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm

I just noticed this thread. I'm glad there's an android app already, and it works. Can't wait to see what it's all about, since I have so many android devices. +1 for chromecast support... If I could watch tv with my chromecast, or use Plex, I'd take the two I own out of their boxes :)
Diverge

Postby drhill26 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:52 am

jasonl,

I'll just leave this here : https://sites.google.com/site/gtvslides ... edirects=1

It's a slideshow for Google TV api's for setting up media providers to work with the primetime guide and search functionalities. It might make the need for anything but a what am I currently watching UI bar unnecessary. A fully integrated googleTV app would be great. 3.2 support for my old Sony GT1 would be even better (even without premium channel/copy once support). Support for mythtv recordings/pausing would be a great bonus.

I really can't see why anyone would watch tv on their phone/tablet for any extended time period. My only use case would be I am watching a show/game and need to go to the bathroom. I would want to fling/multicast the feed from my gtv device to my tablet to not miss anything. I'm sure there are other cases like that (working at home and in a room without a gtv device but has a tablet), but watching "tv" on anything but a tv hurts my brain.
drhill26

Postby heyted » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:59 am

Silicondust to Use Myriad's DLNA Connect and Share
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/ ... s-20018677

From the December 2013 article:

Theodore Head, President and CEO of Silicondust, commented: "Myriad's DLNA/DTCP-IP solution enables Silicondust's HDHomeRun DLNA Certified Tuners to extend its reach within the home network by bringing secure live TV programmes to Android devices."

Olivier Bartholot, VP Corporate Development and General Manager of Myriad's Device Solutions Division, commented: "Myriad's DLNA Connect & Share solution will enable users of Silicondust's HDHomeRun DLNA Certified Tuners to securely stream previously unavailable premium content to mobile devices within the home network, through an enhanced user guide featuring a rich UI."

I am looking forward to seeing the availability of an Android app with DTCP-IP copy protected support. Is this app a replacement for the app that was previously in development or is it the same app?
heyted

Postby Mediaman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:51 pm

WOW... great find heyted! Something Nick should have posted on his blog...

here's a link to their utube of Connect and Share UI which is the mentioned program in the article http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbeF5losNHk

Maybe this will be the basis of their app and how they can get a DTCP-IP solution for decoding? 8-)

Myriad also has a program called Alien Vue that integrates the use of android into non-android devices and can run multiple apps at a time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlwjTbRXVwc
Mediaman

Postby Mike_TV » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 am

Now that the Plus is out is this something that is coming soon for Android?
Mike_TV

Postby Diverge » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 pm

A post in the Plus forums said an Android app is coming friday :)
Diverge

Postby pm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Purchased the app last night and started running easily on both phone and tablet. But can't seem to figure out why only some of the SD channels show up. I thought this app was supposed to show the protected channels as well. So I thought I should be able to see all the channels I can see with WMC and my two HDHR primes. I tried rescanning the channels with the HDHR Setup program and they all show up in the channel list but I only see mostly the OTA channels with the Silicon Dust App. I do see some of the HD protected channels but HD buffers too much to be watchable. I have Cox so most of the channels are protected.

Seems like it would be a good app if I can figure out how to get the rest of the SD channels working.
pm

Next

Return to Android