New products HDTC4-2US and Simple.TV STV2-2US ??

Forum for using HDHomeRun with smart TVs, Bluray players and other smart devices and UPnP/DLNA clients.

Moderator: Moderators

New products HDTC4-2US and Simple.TV STV2-2US ??

Postby Datsallfolks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am

I just noticed "HDTC4-2US" and "Simple.TV STV2-2US" is available for pre-order on Newegg and it ships 12/12/2013.
How come there is no mention of this in press release or release notes on silicondust website?!! :?:

What is the ETA for Cable card version?

Eagerly waiting for H.264 AVC conversion to replace my HDHR Prime :)
Datsallfolks

Re: New products HDTC4-2US and Simple.TV STV2-2US ??

Postby Mediaman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Datsallfolks wrote:I just noticed "HDTC4-2US" and "Simple.TV STV2-2US" is available for pre-order on Newegg and it ships 12/12/2013.
How come there is no mention of this in press release or release notes on silicondust website?!! :?:

Yeah I suggested a marketing friend of mine to them once a few years back [during the talk about the prime here three years ago] but they never asked how to get in touch with them. He' too busy now taking a 20 mill per year company to 200m, he says its half way there now. Not bad for 16 months. I have noticed that they took down two slides on the opening web page last Friday [Nick was working late] and added one back this weekend but thought they would have released a new product page. They may be waiting on an actual photo of a finished device to picture as the one on newegg is not representative of prototype photo on facebook page which is not really the final look of the new tuner as per Jason's comment on the picture.

Too many are putting their marketing future on Facebook especially since younger people seem to be moving away from it. Thing is seniors still have all the money and those now Facebooked will probably be till they die. I for one will never be one of them and will never "like" or dislike a product page nor beg for such acceptance by others. Though I do find Twitter amusing most of the time and uses the "follow' term that serves the same issue [the kids begging to be followed is pathetic to me as a means to developing self worth]. At CES this year they said that information screening will be the big demand of the future. It's facebooks and all the tracking associated with that concept that is flooding your emails and home page screens that needs screening and the easiest way to do that is to not use it.

I kind of subscribe to the old idea that if they would have me as a member I don't want to join. Not sure if that is high or low self esteem issue? :lol:

What is the ETA for Cable card version?

Eagerly waiting for H.264 AVC conversion to replace my HDHR Prime :)

SD has been through this before and is once again kicking itself for the situation and holding it all in with the passage of the original time that had thought they would introduce it. Our best guess is spring.

I have a feeling about what may have happened as h.264 processing is a big deal in small form factors and will probably be adopted by everybody over the next 4 to 6 years who want compatibility in this area. It has been widely adopted making the chips that use it fast sellers. I think they tested some processors, decided on them and wrote code, got it where they wanted and found out the production run on that chip [or chips] sold out and now they are in line waiting. In the mean time they designed some things for new Simple.TV tuner and have included manufacturing that product for Simple.TV along with their own new dual tuner. The Hauppauge dual CC tuner served a similar function in getting the prime to market.

It could be that market surveys do not support a breakeven manufacturing cost analysis making finding a loan for initial production difficult. We will probably never know but they have not said they will not be making the prime version. Possibly we will see a prototype at CES working.
Mediaman

Postby signcarver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am

It would not surprise me if some of the holdup of the new primes is actually at cablelabs in certifying the device... though adding dlna/dtcp-ip support to the current prime probably was allowed as an easy upgrade, and I think adding a 4th tuner would pass relatively easily if not too much has changed inside... getting the new device to do it and throwing in transcoding is probably putting it under a microscope for a new device... for all I know, it could be that they are arguing at what point does a protected stream become "copy no more" as some might argue the first copy is going to the transcoder which should then change it to copy no more which would then prevent you from making a recording... I don't really believe this as it would be absurd but when dealing with such things, it might come up and things need to be clarified in the standards (they may have been already... I guess I should go check and see if they mention transcoding in them).
signcarver

Postby Mediaman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I doubt cablelabs is an issue at all so long as the programming and design is not significantly different. About the only thing left to prove would be that a TC does not affect DRM. That might require a verification test from cablelabs but probably not certification.

If you look at the products by company [at cablelabs] you will see that after the initial submissions a member just files a paper submission [no testing or rigorous board review] or self-verification. Since the dlna is already cablelabs approved [a paper submission by SD] there really is not anything that would need physical review by the board unless the programming or physical design is very different which may need re-certification. I have been looking at new submissions list there since June and at DLNA certified site and nothing has been added to lists yet for SD.

http://www.cablelabs.com/opencable/udcp ... OC_PNP.pdf
Mediaman

Return to Smart TV/Bluray/Other UPnP-DLNA Support