Which TV's support DTCP-IP ?

Forum for using HDHomeRun with smart TVs, Bluray players and other smart devices and UPnP/DLNA clients.

Moderator: Moderators

Which TV's support DTCP-IP ?

Postby johnonthecoast » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Does anyone have a list of TV's that support DTCP-IP for playing premium content ?
It seems my 8000 series Samsung TV does not :(
Is it possible that future TV firmware could?
Thanks,
John
johnonthecoast

Re: Which TV's support DTCP-IP ?

Postby bjdraw » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:16 pm

What year is your TV? I believe most of the 2012 models should support it.
bjdraw

Postby johnonthecoast » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm

bjdraw wrote:What year is your TV? I believe most of the 2012 models should support it.

Samsung UN55C8000XF was manufactured in October 2010.
johnonthecoast

Postby Mediaman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:37 pm

This is basically the question we are trying to answer right now with everyone testing the devices they own. Thus far the only device that I can see reported to work with copyonce is the PS3. Have not seen any of the blu-ray disc players that can do it but there seems to be some kind of issues with the Sony's seeing the Live DMS file at all. Specific reports of devices should be designated in the title of the tread. Many of these have been combined into a broader product categories of manufacturer, operating system and DVR software [xbmx].
Mediaman

Postby bjdraw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am

A quick list of products supporting DCTP-IP are the ones DirecTV indicates works with the Genie. This is because the Genie also relies on DLNA with DTCP-IP. There might be more, so it is worth the effort to make sure. There is only one model in 2011 that was supported and all of 2012 and 2013.
bjdraw

Postby warpster » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Does anyone know if the Prime can be an RVU server? If so maybe SD has a user interface in store for us? RVU is what DirecTV uses for the user interface on their Genie. RVU is a client/server process that streams the user interface from the RVU server to the RVU/DLNA client passing back keystrokes from the client where the server does the heavy lifting. If the Prime could use RVU the interface and guide etc could be delivered this way, negating the need for everything existing on the TV end....could this be step 2? Actually I think the RVU server could even be on another device/PC in the house...XBMC? So many questions...
warpster

Postby m509272 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

For what it's worth. List of RVU devices from RVU Alliance

http://www.rvualliance.org/products
m509272

Postby SolidState9311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm

m509272 wrote:For what it's worth. List of RVU devices from RVU Alliance

Is it true, DTCP-IP is mandatory for DLNA certification? Does this mean new products with DLNA will support DTCP-IP? I wish sony update their current products with DLNA. As of now, my smartTVs are not too smart and have never been for me but this would change that, at least for me.
SolidState9311

Postby warpster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

m509272 wrote:For what it's worth. List of RVU devices from RVU Alliance

Yea I saw that but they don't have a last updated date so no idea how up to date that list is....it would be nice to have a definitive list for DTCP-IP and RVU support that's known to be current.
warpster

Postby gtb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm

SolidState9311 wrote:Is it true, DTCP-IP is mandatory for DLNA certification? Does this mean new products with DLNA will support DTCP-IP?

It is my understanding that IFF (that is If and Only If) a DLNA device supports protected streaming, DTCP-IP is mandatory (and WMDRM-ND may be provided). However, there is no (current) requirement that a DLNA device support protected streaming. There will almost certainly be future DLNA compliant devices without DTCP-IP support (but now that you know about DTCP-IP, you can choose to purchase only devices that have it).

Gary
gtb

Postby joeTech » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

I just tried a Sony Bravia XBR 55850A and it works with the HDHomeRun Prime using Comcast. So this 4K TV definitely has DTCP-IP support.

It does take about 5-10secs to tune to a channel and an additional 15-20sec for the audio to start up. And there is a visible lip sync lag between audio and video.
joeTech

Postby signcarver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:10 pm

No it only confirms it has dlna support unless you are also watching HBO off that TV over dlna as that would be protected and require dtcp-ip as comcast only protects the premium movie channels like HBO.
signcarver

Postby spunkyaz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:48 am

joeTech wrote:I just tried a Sony Bravia XBR 55850A and it works with the HDHomeRun Prime using Comcast. So this 4K TV definitely has DTCP-IP support.

It does take about 5-10secs to tune to a channel and an additional 15-20sec for the audio to start up. And there is a visible lip sync lag between audio and video.

I have 2 HDHR Primes. I am currently watching a movie on Comcast Starz channel using the built in media player on my Sony XBR55900A TV. I was able to sync the audio with adjustments to the TV settings. The media player is very basic. It has no guide. I could use this player as a contingency if HTPC with WMC is not available.Sound works fine through TV speakers or AVR speakers.
spunkyaz

Postby signcarver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

Being able to play Starz with comcast may indeed show the TV does support DTCP-IP as usually Starz it protected on comcast (its not protected on fios... only hbo/max is on fios) as opposed to the previous comment when it wasn't mentioned what channel was being viewed (I have seen a few free preview weekends where Starz wasn't protected) but unless you check the prime tuner status and it says it is protected, it does not guarantee the tv is using DTCP-IP as it only needs to when the content is protected. I would even mention that according to some at WOW the prime isn't handling protections well in their latest firmware and that some protected channels are getting through unprotected (personally I don't believe that... it is more likely since their issue was CGMS protections that the show at that time didn't have it and they just thought the firmware update "fixed" it).

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony did support DTCP-IP on their TVs and other devices as the PS3 has really been the only device one can be sure of as supporting it and it wouldn't take much for them to implement it.
signcarver

Postby spunkyaz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 am

signcarver wrote:Being able to play Starz with comcast may indeed show the TV does support DTCP-IP as usually Starz it protected on comcast (its not protected on fios... only hbo/max is on fios) as opposed to the previous comment when it wasn't mentioned what channel was being viewed (I have seen a few free preview weekends where Starz wasn't protected) but unless you check the prime tuner status and it says it is protected, it does not guarantee the tv is using DTCP-IP as it only needs to when the content is protected. I would even mention that according to some at WOW the prime isn't handling protections well in their latest firmware and that some protected channels are getting through unprotected (personally I don't believe that... it is more likely since their issue was CGMS protections that the show at that time didn't have it and they just thought the firmware update "fixed" it).

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony did support DTCP-IP on their TVs and other devices as the PS3 has really been the only
device one can be sure of as supporting it and it wouldn't take much for them to implement it.

Tuner status CCI = Protected-Copy Once for the Starz channel. Sony TV media player indicates DRM in the description.

As an aside, the Sony TV media player will not play recorded TV files with the .wtv or wma. extensions. Files that have been converted to .mp4 play fine.
spunkyaz

Next

Return to Smart TV/Bluray/Other UPnP-DLNA Support